Friday, February 12, 2010

culture and religion.

you know what i think?
i think cultural holidays should be respected in the same way that religious observances are.
people should be exempt from work, school, etc, in the same manner.

I believe western society over emphasizes the importance of religion, especially that of Christianity.
I say this because, despite being a secular state with a heavy emphasis on respect for multiculturalism, Christian holidays are forced upon all members of society. True, no one forces you to celebrate Christmas, but many businesses are legally forced to shut down during these religious observances, and workers enjoy a paid vacation. I don't necessarily see anything wrong with this practice, per se, I can understand and appreciate that religion is very important for many people. However, the problem occurs when members of the society with different priorities wishes to celebrate other days that are important to them. For example, I would much rather work all through Christmas and take the x number of days of forced vacation in February, in order to celebrate Chinese New Year. Yes. I can take time off or use "personal days" for this purpose. However, I cannot trade my Christmas days off instead. In this manner, Western governments force me to celebrate a holiday that I do not observe, but takes away my ability to celebrate another holiday that is much more important to me with the same degree of freedom as Christians. As this is an ingrained practice, I do not expect changes. But, I do believe that cultural festivities should receive the same status as that of religious festivities. No, my culture may not be the power that created and determines my fate. but neither does the Bible state that you must not work on Easter or Christmas. Yes religion is important for other people, but if I can accept that, it should be accepted that family is the most important thing in the lives of other people, and their culture may dictate for them to be with their families during these periods, and it shouldn't be more difficult for these people of another culture or religion to observe these occasions than those of the Christian tradition.

in short. I would like the ability to trade Christmas for Chinese New Years.
that is all =).

1 comment:

nonsensical said...

i'm going to remind you of this entry come christmas time =P.